Local Veteran displaced from his home
I am sure you all are aware of the lightning strike and resulting fire that damaged building 400 of the Glass Creek apartment buildings in Mt. Juliet on Saturday afternoon. It turns out that a 100 % disabled Army Vietnam vet was a resident there and has been displaced due to the damage.
We were made aware of Mr. Danny Sexton, a Vietnam veteran who served in the Army as an Infantry Soldier under the 5th Infantry Division. He was proud to claim his affiliation to General George Patton’s Division from WWII. Danny Sexton thought he was experiencing a heart attack, so he called 911. As the EMTs arrived and were getting him on their stretcher, the lighting hit the building and it seemed as though the roof instantly caught on fire. He only had the clothes he was wearing and a few identification cards. Post member Cynthia Brown of Mt. Juliet’s Meals on Wheels coordinated the supply of household goods and food items she has access to. Zabrina Seay of the Wilson County Veterans Service Office contacted the Veterans Administration and helped to coordinate getting Mr. Sexton a special allocation of the medicines he needs.
Post members helped in removing most of Mr. Sexton’s salvageable items from his home. Unfortunately, water damage has a lingering mold effect which resulted in most of his furniture and clothing being discarded. Thanks to the efforts of Cynthia Brown and First Baptist Mt. Juliet, clothing and furniture and household items were supplied.
Standing in front of the burned out and totally destroyed apartment at Glass Creek Apartments. In order of left to right: Shawn R Taylor, Pete Blinn, Jeff Mattingly, Cary Cundall, Terry Ward, and Pat Unger, along with Danny Sexton wearing a big smile in the center.